Automation Engineer UK
United Kingdom, West Berkshire, LambournAirborne UK
Be part of a unique growth story!
Join us to help build the leading advanced composites automation and digital manufacturing company. Airborne is a technology leader in advanced composites, specialised in the industrialisation of engineering and manufacturing of durable fibre reinforced composites for Space, Aeronautics, Transport and Marine industries. Via Airborne’s unique combination of skills: our deep and wide composites, software engineering and mechatronics knowledge – we enable our customers to unlock their full potential in digital manufacturing growth and create a competitive advantage. We are agile, flexible and think like a start-up. This nimble approach is challenging for many incumbent companies—but it is at the heart of how we think to build winning positions by developing integrated, automated, and connected manufacturing solutions for the composite industry.
Together we are a dynamic group of 135 highly educated and enthusiastic employees, split between our headquarter in The Hague Ypenburg (NL) and our site in Lambourn (UK).
What is your new job?
Automation Engineer at Airborne UK you are responsible for the controls and automation systems of our new and innovative solutions for the composites industry. You will bring technical expertise, and best practices to strengthen our automation capability in the UK.
In this role you are the automation engineer and a source of information of industrial control systems for the business unit. In your function you ensure that all technical communication with the parties involved (such as: customers, suppliers, project leaders, engineers, and technicians) runs smoothly. You are able to define the customer's technical requirements and issue both technical and functional specifications. You will support the project manager with defining work packages, planning, and organising all technical activities. Furthermore, you support business development in the quotation phase.
You are up to date with the latest in-depth technical knowledge, and function as a technical source of information for engineers, management, and business development.
You are responsible for:
- Understanding requirements on user interfaces, communication interfaces. And creating specifications based on these requirements.
- Designing, developing, and programming PLC control systems and safety systems.
- Where needed creating CAD models using SOLIDWORKS
- Integrating third party hardware, setting up interface control documents.
- Controlling and programming industrial robots.
- Ensuring that the developed automated solutions operate safely, robustly, and reliably.
- Troubleshooting equipment problems and performing complex system tests.
- Writing clear documentation and work instructions.
- Working with project managers to develop projects and quotations
We expect that the job will be about 90% engineering, technical and 10% project engineering tasks.
Reporting Lines and Interactions
You will report to the function manager in Airborne UK. You will collaborate with your colleagues in the business unit (Project Management, Software, Automation, Process Engineering), Airborne UK’s partners, colleagues in Airborne NL, suppliers, and customers.
- Minimum BSc degree in a technical subject, e.g., Electrical Engineering or Industrial Automation
- 2-3 years of relevant experience in designing and programming industrial automation systems
- Experience with Siemens PLCs
- Experience with creating electrical drawings
- Experience with robot platforms
- Knowledge of servo and motor controls an advantage
- Experience with KUKA robots is an advantage, but not required
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to build strong working relationships
- Systems engineering view, capable of linking the high-level requirements to detailed solutions
- Ability and attitude to look beyond project boundaries
- Ability to align all stakeholders, from operational to strategic level
- Fluent in English
What we offer
Working at Airborne Ltd will give you the opportunity to develop your career by working on highly innovative projects.
We offer you a rewarding job in an inspiring environment with like-minded and talented colleagues. You will become part of our inspiring company where innovation, quality and creativity are key to meet our company goals. We will give you the opportunity for personal and professional growth, by additional training, on the job training and coaching.
Furthermore, we offer:
- A competitive salary
- 25 days annual leave
- Retirement Pension Plan
- Flexible working
A great opportunity to be part of a unique growth story!
Information & procedure
If you would like to apply, please send in your application via the Apply here button.
Third party applications are not appreciated.