Automation Engineer (Sensor & Vision system)
Lambourn, England, United KingdomAirborne UK
Be part of a unique growth story! Join us to help build the leading advanced composites automation and digital manufacturing company. Airborne is a technology leader in advanced composites, specialised in the industrialisation of engineering and manufacturing of durable fibre reinforced composites for Space, Aeronautics, Transport and Marine industries. Via Airborne’s unique combination of skills: our deep and wide composites, software engineering and mechatronics knowledge – we enable our customers to unlock their full potential in digital manufacturing growth and create a competitive advantage. We are agile, flexible and think like a start-up. This nimble approach is challenging for many incumbent companies—but it is at the heart of how we think to build winning positions by developing integrated, automated, and connected manufacturing solutions for the composite industry.
Together we are a dynamic group of 135 highly educated and enthusiastic employees, split between our headquarter in The Hague Ypenburg (NL) and our site in Lambourn (UK).
What is your new job?
As an Automation Engineer (Sensor & Vision system) at Airborne UK, you are responsible for developing quality inspection systems using COTS sensors and vision systems, as well as supporting the controls and automation systems of our new and innovative solutions for the composites industry. You are expected to have a strong mathematical background, familiar with the fundamentals of how COTS sensors (e.g., ToF, attenuation) and vision systems (e.g., depth camera, 3D laser scanner/camera) work. You are proficient with libraries, programming languages and development environments such as python, SCL, C/C++/C#, and Robot Operating System (ROS), and industrial network protocols such as Modbus, OPC UA etc., to create bespoke inspection systems by capturing clear requirements for composite manufacturing and integrating them with automation line. You are also familiar with electric circuit design and able to create wiring diagrams, soldering, creating small scale prototype to verify concepts. You are able to work with automation team and software team to develop system architecture and data communication plan and execute integration of the inspection systems.
Scope & Relationships:
- Reports to Function leader.
- Develop bespoke quality inspection systems for automated composite manufacturing.
- Supporting Business on matters of Information communication and technology
- Develop links with Airborne Composite Automation
- Identifying and bringing in best practices for sensorisation and vision system development
- Training less experienced engineers in sensor and vision technologies
- Interaction with project stakeholders: Clients, internal relationships, software vendors, solution providers and certification
You are responsible for:
- Obtain clear understanding and assimilation of quality inspection and traceability requirements for composite manufacturing.
- Understanding of requirements for user interfaces, communication interfaces, and create specifications based on these requirements.
- Design, develop quality inspection systems using COTS sensors and vision systems, and integrate them with full automation system.
- Create small scale prototypes, design, and execute test matrix and test plan to verify concept.
- Designing, developing, and programming of PLC control systems and safety systems.
- Where needed creating CAD models using SOLIDWORKS
- Integrating third party hardware, setting up interface control documents.
- Controlling and programming industrial robots.
- Creating electrical diagrams
- Ensuring that the developed automated solutions operate safely, robustly, and reliably.
- Troubleshooting equipment problems and performing complex system tests.
- Ad hoc tasks as necessary for the project delivery
- Comply with project plans and industry standards.
- Support creation of project plans with project managers.
- Ensure the security of work though company IT systems.
- To complete timesheets as necessary to allow project tracking.
- Personal attention to health, safety and environmental related aspects
Reporting Lines and Interactions
You will report to the function manager in Airborne UK. You will collaborate with your colleagues in the business unit (Project Management, Software, Automation, Process Engineering), Airborne UK’s partners, colleagues in Airborne NL, suppliers, and customers.
- Excellent and efficient problem-solving skills and embrace new challenges as opportunities to grow.
- Enthusiasm to learn new skills and self-motivated without excessive supervision.
- Experience of or a desire to work as part of a multidisciplinary team to deliver quality inspection systems for production environment and system integrations.
- Passionate about new technologies such as machine learning, big data, neural network, virtual reality, computer vision and robotics
- Strong ability in eliciting requirements through a complex discrete manufacturing environment
- Strong hands-on skills to develop and build cost effective solutions.
- Strong stakeholder management skill to drive technical decisions through.
- Believer in high code quality, simplicity, and maintainability if apps are required to be developed for inspection systems in conjunction with the software team.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in mathematics, Computer Science, Robotics, Electronics or Engineering
- Past experiences in the following area are preferred but not compulsory and will be reflected in the offer package.
- Electronic circus design and build for control or inspection systems.
- Software frameworks such as Django, MVVM and software stack for live data communication
- Siemens PLCs, Kuka Robots
- Machine learning, Computer vision and distributed systems
What we offer
Working at Airborne International will give you the opportunity to develop your career by working on highly innovative projects. We offer you a well rewarding job in an inspiring environment with like-minded and talented colleagues. You will become part of our inspiring company where innovation, quality and creativity are key to meet our company goals. We will give you the opportunity for personal and professional growth, by training, learning on the job and coaching. A fantastic opportunity to be part of a unique growth story!
Furthermore, we offer:
- Hybrid working conditions, with office commutable from major cities including:
- London o Bristol o Bath o Southampton
- Sociable work environment with regular company parties
- Competitive salary
- 25 days annual leave
- Generous benefits package including:
- Pension plan o Private health insurance o 13 weeks paid sickness leave
- Income protection for sickness or injury at 75% of salary
- Death in service (3x salary)
Please note all applicants must be eligible to work in the UK.
Information & procedure
In case you would like to apply, please send in your application (motivation and resume) via the Apply here button.
Third party applications are not appreciated.